Thanks for checking out my blog! The purpose here is that I found that I wanted a way to communicate ideas and experiences in my career with peers and at the same time document what I’ve learned and observed for reference purposes. Alas, here’s a little more about me.
Growing up in Grand Rapids, Michigan I began working in IT in 2000 with the start of my own business at the age of 19 during the introduction of the AT&T cable modem to West Michigan. The business was aimed at serving the needs of small businesses and residential customers with basic networking and computer repair services.
That was the beginning of my time consulting in IT. I found that I had a knack for serving customers, helping identify their needs, and creating solutions on the fly. While working for various IT VARs (Value Added Resellers), my interest for helping through technology sparked another interest, management and leadership. During this period I obtained various Microsoft and Cisco certifications solidifying my technical abilities. Currently I am an MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator) with a Messaging (Microsoft Exchange Server) specialization, and hold CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) and CCDA (Cisco Certified Design Associate) certifications.
The opportunity to be an IT director or perhaps start my own IT firm had always been a goal to achieve. In 2009, my consulting opportunities brought myself the position of an IT director for a medium sized business in West Michigan. Working with hardware and software vendors, building a team of successful team members, managing projects and presenting business solutions utilizing technology keep me busy and challenged on a day to day basis.
Some of the interests that I focus on a day to day basis are:
- Project Management with Team Members, Upper Management and Vendors
- VMware Infrastructure Management and Planning
- Influencing the Direction Cloud Services
- Disaster Recovery Oversight
- ERP Customizations and Consulting with Software Vendors
- Empowering Users Through Training
- WAN Security and Optimization
- Oversight of an IT Support Team Handling Approximately 300 Users
- Researching New Technologies and Collaborating with Peers in the Industry
- Utilizing Sharepoint Implementations to Increase Efficiency and Communication within the Organization
Outside of working on the delicate balance of technology and people at work and outside of work, I enjoy reading, fly fishing, telemark skiing, and hanging out with my wife.